Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Hero's Journey

I was first introduced to the "hero's journey" a couple years ago at a small writer's conference.  The workshop instructor used the movie Star Wars (the original one with Luke still on his home planet) and then pointed out all the different stages of the journey for the hero. 

Not long after, a friend recommended the book The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler.   Based on Joseph Campbell's mythic story structure, Vogler breaks it down so that anyone can understand and apply to their writing.

One of the things I like about the hero's journey is how it's kinda like a road map.  It gives you a general direction of where to go and mileposts along the way.  And while this sounds like something that only works in fantasy stories, it applies to all genres.  Even a mystery has a "Call to Adventure," "Tests, Allies, Enemies," and "Return." 

I'd encourage everyone to learn more about the hero's journey and it just so happens someone out there formed a group so we can do that.  This group is dedicated to learning, using and teaching the mythic structure for writers called The Hero's Journey.  You can find it here.   It's a new group, just getting started so give it a look see. 

Also, get the book The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler.  I've got "LOTS" of writing books but this is one of my favorites.

4 comments:

Malcolm R. Campbell said...

I read HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES in college, but it took a while for it to set in. I've written two novels based on the progression of steps, and find that it works very well for the protagonist's inner and outer journeys. A lot of people discover it by looking closely at first STAR WARS movies. Thanks for including a link to that group.

Malcolm

Sandra said...

I've applied to join the group. I've heard a great deal about "the hero's journey" but haven't really dealt with it yet in terms of my stories. I think it's harder to get a feel for when doing short stories, which is all I've worked on so far.

Cheryl said...

Just checking in on my favorite troll. I hope all is well.

Cheryl

V.R. Leavitt said...

I LOVE that book. A friend of mine lent it to me and it was just awesome.