Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

E is for Expectations

I don't know about you but when I buy a book, there are things I expect.  For example, I expect to be transported to another world.  I want to leave the reality behind for a bit and go on an adventure.  I want to experience something I've not done before and might never get the chance to do.  I want to meet characters who become real to me, that I'd like to sit down and chat with over a glass of tea or cup of hot cocoa.  When I read a book, I want to go someplace I might never get the chance to visit.

Back as far as I can remember, I've loved to read.  I remember reading under the cover with a flashlight cause the book was so good I couldn't wait to read the next page.  In school, I used to read during class by putting the book on top of my textbook and holding it up so the teacher couldn't see.  Of course, that worked fine until I got so involved in the story I didn't hear the teacher call on me and a classmate had to get my attention. 

But, when I read a book, I want to get that involved.  So involved I forget where I am, that I need to fix dinner, or put the laundry in the dryer.  I want to keep turning the pages until I reach the end at three in the morning.  And when I get to the end, I want to feel satisfied but also a little sad.  Satisfied cause it's a fitting ending but sad because my time with the characters has come to an end.  I want to put the book on my keeper shelf and know I'll be reading it again soon. 

What do you expect from a book?  And got any recommendations?

3 comments:

V.R. Leavitt said...

Yeah, that definitely sums it up for me too. I don't mind a light fluff read either, but the books that have stuck with me forever are the ones that take me away.

Unknown said...

Sounds like we had a similar childhood. Books have opened different parts of the world for me that I know I'll never get to visit. But I've become familiar with other fascinating cultures through the pages of a book.

Margie said...

I love to find a good book on my day off so I can stay up late reading. My new favorite is Heather Webber's Lucy Valentine books.

www.rgsenechal.com