Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

O is for Options...

Options.  Have you noticed how many options there are out there for getting your book published?  I'm not talking about Print on Demand vs print 'em all now type options, though.  Or even the paper vs digital option...but the publisher option.

First, there's the "Big 6" guys.  Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins,  MacMillan Publishers Ltd., Penguin Group, Random House along with Simon & Schuster. For an overview of who these guys are, or consist of, check out this link.
Then there's the independent publishers.  Here's a good definition of independent publishing.  There's quite a few of these publishers out there.  Some have a better reputation than others so you have to be careful when dealing when them, but that's true in most cases.

And of course, there's the self-publishing option.  At one time self-publishing was not only frowned upon by agents and editors, it was something to be avoided at all costs.  The thought was if you self-published, it was because your work wasn't good enough to get a "real" publisher.  This idea has changed greatly the last couple years and it's no longer the stigma it once was.

Lastly, there's vanity and subsidy publishers.  Here's a really good link with all the definitions, differences and lots of information.

Each option has its good points (except maybe the vanity publishers).  Each option has its bad points.  What's a viable option for one person might not be for another.  What's right for me, might not be right for you. 

What I'm asking I guess, is have you considered all the options?  What decisions did you make and why if you don't mind telling.  

5 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

I have (and still am) considering all the options. I don't know what decision to make because I'm so paranoid about making the wrong decision. So I've just decided to not decide. Not the best decision ever but it'll do for now...

Karen Jones Gowen said...

How cool that you have links describing these different publishing options. I need to come back here when I have time and read what these all say. I'm published with a small independent press-- WiDo Publishing-- and I love it. It's the option I would choose if I had to do it all over again.

Unknown said...

I have an agent and am out on submission. But, she has told me that it would be a good idea to self-publish one of my middle-grade manuscripts as an ebook. I'm an editor so I know people in the business. The text has been proofed and I'm working with an illustrator for the cover. I'm hoping to have a very good product out shortly. I wouldn't have even considered this if my agent hadn't of suggested it.

Jean said...

M.J. - it can be scary out there. Especially with publishing changing so rapidly. Who knows if what we decide today will be the correct decision next month. *sigh* I think the thing we have to do is get all the info we can, talk to or read the advice of those in the business then pick what feels right to us.

Karen - I'm glad you like the links. Sometimes the terms get tossed around like confetti and it's hard to figure out just what they mean. Glad you are happy with your publisher. Seems you made the right decision for you.

Kris - How cool that your agent is working with you to build a career. This just points to how self-publishing, especially as e-books is becoming more accepted.

Kris Yankee said...

I have an agent and am out on submission. But, she has told me that it would be a good idea to self-publish one of my middle-grade manuscripts as an ebook. I'm an editor so I know people in the business. The text has been proofed and I'm working with an illustrator for the cover. I'm hoping to have a very good product out shortly. I wouldn't have even considered this if my agent hadn't of suggested it.