Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

L is for...Learning

Once you stop learning, you start dying.
Albert Einstein 

Albert was pretty smart for a guy with bad hair. :-) I made another comment or two about his hair and the puter ate my post soI had to start over. I'll leave his hair choice alone this time.

I don't know much about the man but I like this quote.  There is so much in this world we don't know.  Plenty of things to learn to keep us busy until the body wears out.

For example, I've recently restarted studying Spanish for an upcoming trip to Peru.  (More about that on day P.) I had two years of Spanish in high school and was able to converse well but over the years of not using it, I sorta lost most of it.  However, the more I study, the more I remember.  I'm now able to find the bathroom (very important), ask for food (also important), tell if I need to see a doctor or go to the hospital (good to know in a jungle), and ask about restaurants (not so important in the jungle).  I can even properly greet those I come into contact with and that's definitely important. :-)

Thing is, the more I study Spanish, the more I want to study it, the more I want to learn.  And, the easier I learn other things. I'm doing some memory work for another project and I'm retaining quicker and with less effort than when I started.

Today I'm going to challenge you to learn something new.  It doesn't have to be a new language, though if you really want to learn one, go for it.  You're never too old to learn a language, it just seems that way. If you want to learn a new craft or hobby, then do so.  

Don't limit yourself.  Challenge your mind instead.  The brain is a terrible thing to waste. (Just ask Kowalski.)

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning." Albert Einstein

3 comments:

Ophelia London said...

Great quote and wonderful post. I'm all about learning (in my old age)! I've practically decided that I'm going to take a tap dancing class this summer. Exercise for the mind and body, right?

Just hoppin' by on A-Z. Nice to "meet" you!

Elizabeth said...

Great quotes from Einstein, he was a pretty quotable guy. I taken up all kinds of new things the past couple of years, kayaking, sailing, square dancing and knitting are just a few. Nothing like learning new things!

Shelley Sly said...

This was a nice post! It's funny; when I was a kid in school, I didn't really want to learn. Now that I'm not in school, I'm learning (and teaching myself) new things every day.