Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P is for... Peru

***  WARNING - Religious post about to happen.  IF this might offend you, then read no further  ***

Last year, my pastor became involved in The Amazon Project through Youth Frameworks.  It's a really cool project and has really grown over the last six or eight months.  He's been to Peru and up the Amazon River several times now and God is working in a mighty way there.  I don't know all the details but they are teaching and reaching the people for the Lord.  My pastor is actually teaching seminary classes for the people there.  It's so cool because he is fluent in Spanish and goes to Mexico each month for a couple days to teach in a seminary there.  He teaches Greek in Spanish.  My poor brain would be so confused.

But anyway...in conversation I mentioned that I wanted to go to Peru and help out. And guess what...I'll be going in January of next year.  I'm so excited. I'm already planning what to take, what I need to do and get done before then. For example...passport.  Gotta have one. :-)

And...Spanish.  I really want to be able to speak to the people there in their language.  Now, years ago in school I took two years of Spanish and was very good at it but over the last 20 plus years, I haven't used it so it's been filed away in the brain, way back in a dark corner where no one ever goes.  But, the last couple weeks I've been studying and it's coming back.  I've always loved the Spanish language and I'm excited to be relearning and using it.

Back to Peru, though. Right now, they are having record flooding.  This is the building used for seminary classes. As you can tell, it's in water.  Not long ago the water was coming in the door ( about 12-18 inches off the ground). Last I heard about a week ago, water was up to the windows and still rising.  (Probably 3 foot off the ground.)  It floods every year in Peru but this year it's really bad.  Whole villages have packed up and moved to higher ground.  Farms are being wiped out and people's lives are being uprooted. Here's a link to an article about the flooding in Iquitos. As you can see from the pictures, it's serious.

So, I'm asking y'all to pray for the people of Peru, especially those affected by the flooding.  Pray for those making the trips to Peru and the work they are doing.  I also ask that you pray for me as I prepare to go myself. 

Lastly, I know things are tight financially, but if you have a few spare dollars...or even pennies...and want to support a worthy cause, check out Youth Frameworks.  They do a great work.  Or, in an effort to raise funds for my trip, (it's not cheap) I'm selling handmade Paracord Survival Bracelets.  I'll be posting pictures in a couple days (on "S") of the colors I have available and the details to purchase/donate.  Until then, you can contact me at jeanlauzier @  gmail.com. Just remove the spaces. :-) Oh, I'm also making dog collars too. They look really cool.

2 comments:

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I am much more of a send money guy anyway. I'll look for the donation information.

I am trying to read all the A to Z blogs, but coming back to the ones I really like.
Looking forward to seeing what you do all month!

Tim
The Freedom of Nonbelief

Sandra said...

I'll for the Survival bracelets, Jean! :-)

This sounds like an awesome ministry and it will be an incredible experience for you.

Hugs!
Sandra