Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

U is for...Unforgettable

Ever read a book or watched a movie that you couldn't forget:  One in which the characters remained with you long after you finished, or one that you revisited ever so often cause you just couldn't forget the story?

Or what about a book where you actually forget the character is fictional? (Shhhh...we won't tell them they aren't real.)

As a writer, that's what we want.  We want you to love our characters as much as we do.  And believe me, we really love 'em.

Here's some of my unforgettable books...in no particular order.

Black Beauty & The Black Stallion series- I went through a "horse" phase as a kid and read anything horse related.

I also went through a dog phase.  I loved the original Lassie, Come Home and the Big Red series.

Les Miserables - My 11th grade English teacher suggested this book along with several others that I really loved.  That was the year I actually read Animal Farm for fun. Don Quixote, Canterbury Tales and even Shakespeare.

Most stories by Edgar Allen Poe - I LOVE Poe.  The Tell-Tale Heart, The Black Cat, The Raven, just to name a few.

What about Harry Potter?  How can we ever forget him and his friends?

And one I'll never forget cause of the ending.  Gone with the Wind.  I was sick the day I watched the movie.  I'd heard as long as I could remember I needed to see the  movie and read the book.  After spending hours on the couch the movie ended with Scarlett standing in the field say "I'll never be hungry again."  All I know is it's a good thing I was sick that day and I'd not wasted my time  for that ending. :-)

What about you?  What' books or movies have stuck with you over the years?


No comments: